Two Bilingual Readings:
1) At Kelly Writer’s House, 3805 Locust Walk on the Penn Campus on Friday, February 27, from 4-5:30pm (with discussion and a reception to follow)
2) At Chapterhouse Café, 620 S. 9th St. in Center City Philadelphia on Saturday, February 28, from 6:30-8:30pm.
Two public panels on topics in poetry and translation:
1) Friday, February 27, from 1:30-3:30pm at the Max Kade Center, 3401 Walnut St, rm. 329A
- Michael Wachtel (Princeton), “Mutilating Dead Poets: Robert Lowell’s Translations from the Russian”
- Matvei Yankelevich (Ugly Duckling Presse), “Pseudotranslation” in Contemporary American Poetry”
- Ilya Vinitsky (UPenn), “For the Few: Translation as Initiation”
- Alexandra Petrova (Rome), “Divertissment at the Crossroads”
2) Saturday, February 28, from 1:30-3:45 at the Singh Center for Nanotechnology, 3205 Walnut St.
- Stephanie Sandler (Harvard), “Retranslating: Skidan, Palmer, Bernstein”
- Shamshad Abdullaev (Fergana, Uzbekistan), “One Poem by Samuel Beckett” (In Russian)
- Alexander Skidan (St. Petersburg), “Translation and My Poetic Practice” (in Russian)
- Kevin M. F. Platt (UPenn), “Translation, Cosmopolitanism and War in Riga”
Please attend and please circulate this announcement!