NB: All events are for symposium participants only, unless marked as “Public Events.” For a compact list of public events, see the appropriate tab above.
Thursday, February 26
9:30am-1:00pm: Workshop on translation at Kelly Writers House, 3805 Locust Walk
1:15-2:15pm: Lunch at Max Kade Center, 3401 Walnut St, rm. 329A
2:30-3:30pm: Workshop on translation at Max Kade Center
3:30-5:00pm: Optional Walk Through Philadelphia from Penn Campus, ending at the Alexander Inn, Spruce St. and 12th St.
7:00pm: Dinner at the home of Kevin M. F. Platt, 417 S. 13th St.
Friday, February 27
9:30am-12:00pm: Workshop on translation at Kelly Writers House
12:00-1:00pm: Lunch at Kelly Writers House
1:30-3:30pm: Paper session I at the Max Kade Center (PUBLIC EVENT)
- Michael Wachtel (Princeton), “Mutilating Dead Poets: Robert Lowell’s Translations from the Russian”
- Matvei Yankelevich (Ugly Duckling Presse), “Pseudotranslation” in Contemporary American Poetry”
- Ilya Vinitsky (UPenn), “For the Few: Translation as Initiation”
- Alexandra Petrova (Rome), “Divertissment at the Crossroads”
4:00-5:30pm: Bilingual Poetry Reading at Kelly Writers House, with discussion to follow (PUBLIC EVENT)
5:30-6:30pm: Wine and Cheese Reception at Kelly Writers House (PUBLIC EVENT)
7:00pm: Dinner at the home of Robert Arsenault, 2317 Delancey Place
Saturday, February 28
9:30am-12:00pm: Workshop on translation at Singh Center for Nanotechnology, 3205 Walnut St.
12:00–1:30pm: Lunch at Singh Center for Nanotechnology
1:30 – 3:45pm: Paper session II at the Singh Center for Nanotechnology (PUBLIC EVENT)
- Stephanie Sandler (Harvard), “Retranslating: Skidan, Palmer, Bernstein”
- Shamshad Abdullaev (Fergana, Uzbekistan), “One Poem by Samuel Beckett” (In Russian)
- Alexander Skidan (St. Petersburg), “Translation and My Poetic Practice” (in Russian)
- Kevin M. F. Platt (UPenn), “Translation, Cosmopolitanism and War in Riga”
6:30-8:30pm: Bilingual Poetry Reading at Chapterhouse Café, 620 S. 9th St. (PUBLIC EVENT)
8:30pm: Closing reception at the home of Kevin M. F. Platt, 417 S. 13th St.